You must learn to let go. Release the stress. You were never in control anyway.― Steve Maraboli
If you’ve recently looked in the mirror after one hard day and wondered when you got so old – but you’re not, you my friend may be stressed.
Today, we use stress as if it is a badge of honor. We talk about being stressed day and night, as if it were a prize that we have to brag about.
This leads to little things happening that add up to becoming BIG problems:
- We remember nothing from moment to moment
- It feels like your bodies are attacking itself – literally, every patch of skin bones and organs are at war with each other.
- you can’t eat or you eat too much.
- You can’t sleep or you sleep too much.
- You nightly dreams become hellish – a monster you can’t escape.
- You can’t decide whether to sit or stand, go or stay. It’s all a mystery!
- A small bitter little monster is knocking away all day at your head. Trying to tear it off your shoulders.
- You get angry and then don’t know why and frankly you just don’t care at this point.
- Absolutely nothing is worth smiling or laughing about!
- You have a constant river of sweat pouring down your body. Even when you know the temperature should not allow this!
- And nothing you do ever turns out right!
There are so many things that can go wrong because you are stressed. The greatest of them all is that it can kill you.
So what are you going to do about it?
What you are not going to do is continue this way. Because if you do it could be that you really have developed a tolerance for being stressed, which is not good.
The road that seems the easiest is often the most dangerous and the familiar can be so deceptive that your demise creeps up before you can fight it off. To combat stress maybe we need to stop leaning on the wrong people (yes frenemies, they may seems a strange breed but they are a dangerous one!) Also, we need to go to bed and get some sleep (even though I should have been at mine an hour ago, we will get it right). Next, stop overthinking things and just go with the flow. Stop giving people your time, and don’t stretch yourself – who cares what they think. Only you know what you are going through. And finally, stop overlooking great opportunities that may seems difficult but which will bring the desired results. Give back the title and trophy that is stress and live your best life. Shalom!